Booking Backend is the customer-facing order management system of Kiwi.com
. Highly available, demanding architecture for developers who can thrive working on the integration backbone. Booking Backend manages the base booking orders, as well as all additional purchases (baggage, seats, insurance, etc.) – and maintains consistency in the customer experience – be it on mobile, desktop, or using a partner application.
We understand the codebase is always changing and therefore enforce clean code, code reviews, and automated testing. As we deploy multiple times per day, QA testing, real-time monitoring, and alerting is an inevitable part of our release process. We often refactor parts of code/product that are slowing development down but also focus on being able to deliver new features – to be innovative and deliver value to our customers. Within the team, we try to spread knowledge and collaboratively work on top priorities to avoid hero syndrome – preventing bus factor.
What technologies do we use?
- Our main codebase is written in Python 3.6
- Flask as our Python framework (with Connexion for validation)
- Apps are built as docker images, orchestrated by Kubernetes and deployed to GCP
- OpenAPIv3 schema first API design
- PostgreSQL database with SQLAlchemy models
- Celery tasks for asynchronous and periodic tasks
- Top of the line code quality tooling – Black, Pylint, SonarQube and Mypy
- Slack as a main communication tool – a rich set of Slack integrations to promote flexibility
- Datadog for real-time app metrics, logs and alerts. Sentry for error tracking – all connected to PagerDuty for high severity incidents
What will you do?
- Design, develop, integrate and deploy high-quality software aligned with user needs and business goals – finding a balance between business needs and technical excellence
- Write and review performant code – debug, profile and optimize apps – adhering best practices
- Identify, prioritize and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
- Take ownership of domain/service crossing several teams/services – healthy architecture, testing, monitoring and documentation
- Lead and mentor less experienced colleagues
- Actively promote & support continuous learning approach within the team and department, demonstrating a positive attitude
- Collaborate with internal teams and vendors to fix and improve products
What do we expect from you?
- Professional experience working in a product-driven environment
- Independent and self-driven personality
- Ability to write distributed, high-volume services
- Ability to deploy and operate services using docker
- Deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms
- Care about quality and understanding what ship high-quality code means
- Ability to communicate professionally in English
Why it rocks to work for us?
- We deploy immediately after a job is completed, not after months of QA.
- Do, fail, learn – repeat! We understand that mistakes happen and we learn fast.
- We decide which cutting-edge technologies are appropriate for the task.
- We code at hackathons and other competitions.
- We support the local technological community.
- We visit and speak at conferences and technological events worldwide.
- We use our work time wisely with a friendly vacation policy and work schedule.
- We also like to party and hang out together.
- We work, play, relax, workout and even nap in our offices.
- We’re a great team of passionate and fun-loving people from across the globe who you’ll love working with.
- We look forward to you joining our team-buildings and parties!
We offer you
•Besides a motivating salary, we offer quarterly bonuses dependent on the company’s overall results and your own performance
•We also enjoy benefits, such as meal vouchers, 20+5 days vacation, Cafeteria program, sick days, VIP Medical Care, multisport card.
•Flight vouchers to celebrate your kiwi anniversaries.
•Occasional work from home and/ or our modern office located in Karlín where you can enjoy sleeping spots, chillout zones, free refreshments, parking for car/bicycle/motorbike.
•Hardware from Apple or Microsoft based on your preferences.
•Relocation package (including visa support).
•We offer unlimited contracts within a forward-thinking and ambitious company.
•Dogs, kids, and parties are welcome in our offices.
•Grow.Kiwi program which supports parents and keeps them engaged with the company.
Interested? Join us and hack the traditional ways of travel!
Kiwi.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.